Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Tale of Two Kindles


I was the previous owner of a lovely Kindle that I affectionately called Mr. Rochester (I know, I really am getting new material, I promise). I really did love my Kindle. I loved being able to bring it everywhere with me, and be able to read anything. I've had it for about two years now, and I've read so many books with it, it's been a really great experience to own one.

Until I broke it.

It was a tiring Thursday afternoon after school. Rochester sat on my nightstand, and as I always do I went to put my phone beside it. The phone slipped out of my grasp, and landed on the screen. Nothing happened, I thought Rochester was fine. I tried to turn it on, and the screen just had lines running across it. It was that day I became a murderer of literature.

My life flashed before my eyes. I had everything Charles Dickens has ever written on there. I had Pride and Prejudice, The Hunger Games trilogy, everything gone.

I was beside myself. I could not believe I just broke my Kindle of all things. I called Amazon immediately and they agreed to send me a different Kindle for a reduced rate. I bought it, and Mr. Darcy, the new Kindle, came a few days later.

Mr. Darcy and Mr. Rochester have been getting along, they are very similar characters, you know. Darcy and Rochester share the same arrogant pride which is eventually worn away by their true loves they find. In my opinion, they would have been the best of friends if they were written together in one story.

Unfortunately, Rochester must be sent back to Thornfield, and Darcy must stay here with me, and I will protect this Kindle as if it were Fort Knox. I will miss Rochester very much, but I'm grateful to have another Kindle at the same time.



Oh, and on the bright side I now own a moose named Darnay which is a much less fragile thing apply literature related names and feelings towards.



1 comment: